Mine Geologist - Open Pit
- Work for a a mid-tier, multinational gold producer
- Provide day to day support to our Open Pit Geologists team at Macraes
- Join the geology open pit mining team
- Based at Macraes
- Monday to Friday, 7am - 4.30pm
- Three new people required to join the geology open pit mining team
Reporting to the Senior Mine Geologist, your role will be to provide accurate, timely advice that identifies minable ore and that meets the requirements of the mining plan.
Your degree in Geology coupled with ideally two years post grad experience (preferably in open pit mining) will assist you in being successful in the position of Mine Geologist.
You will need to be prepared to work near large mobile mining equipment, in a potentially dusty, cold or hot, wet, and windy environment. Providing day to day support to our Open Pit Geologists team at Macraes.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- following set processes, SOPs and JHAs to ensure the geology field team is aware of the daily requirements and are performing to standard procedures
- communicating any issues relating to the quality of the samples
- supervising the mining of ore contacts and ensure mining standards are complied with
- monitoring and reporting on the laboratory contractors sample preparation procedure, analytical accuracy and precision
- geotechnical mapping and monitoring
- carrying out projects relating to grade control and mine geology
- ensuring all ore zones are accurately identified and implemented with the correct grade control strategy
- using all available datasets to define minable ore blocks as per procedure
- producing Grade Control plans for ore zone and develop strategies to drill floors in most efficient and geologically sensible manner
- monitoring and reporting on all aspects of sampling by preparing, implementing and assessing sample monitoring programs (including regular rig inspections)
- maintaining detailed ore block mined/predicted variance spreadsheet
- geological structures controlling mineralisation are documented, interpreted and communicated to geology team members
- constructing ore definition models using MP3 software using correct and current geostatistical practices.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- a degree in Geology
- an Honours or a postgraduate qualification would be highly regarded
- ideally, two years' experience in open pit mining with particular emphasis on data collection OR three years' postgraduate experience
- intermediate level experience using MS Office
- the ability to communicate within a team environment
- a genuine interest in the mining industry
- a current First Aid Certificate
- a full, clean, current driver’s licence and the ability to drive a manual vehicle.
You must be able to pass a pre-employment medical including drug and alcohol testing.
About the Company:
OceanaGold Corporation is a mid-tier, multinational gold producer with assets in the Philippines, New Zealand and the United States. On the North Island of New Zealand, the Company operates the high-grade Waihi Gold Mine while on the South Island; the Company operates the country’s largest gold mine, the Macraes Goldfield.
At OceanaGold, health and safety is paramount to the success of our business as are employees who engage in behaviours that align with our values.
OGC VALUES: RESPECT | INTEGRITY | TEAMWORK | INNOVATION | ACTION | ACCOUNTABILITY
OceanaGold is committed to providing equal employment opportunities within a smoke-free work site.
If you share the same values and have what we are looking for, please apply online now via our website: www.careers.oceanagold.com
Applications close on Saturday, 30 September 2017.
Applicants must be eligible to work in New Zealand.
NO APPLICATIONS FROM EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES WILL BE ACCEPTED
19 Sep 2017
- Work Type:
- New Zealand
- Macraes Operations
- Date expires:
- 30 Oct 2017