Regional Exploration Geologist
JOB RESPONSIBILITES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The primary role of the Regional Exploration Geologist is to technically lead and drive greenfields exploration programs in the eastern USA. The goal is the discovery of economically viable gold deposits that can displace and/or extend mill production at the Haile mine.
- Work closely with the Exploration Director to develop and implement an effective greenfields project generation strategy that results in the timely development of a project pipeline
- Identify and develop key geological, geophysical and geochemical targeting tools to drive project/target generation and new gold discoveries
- Collect, validate, organize, assess datasets from geology, geochemistry, geophysics & drilling
- Establish and maintain a portfolio of quality projects, regularly reviewing projects in field, ensuring decision points are developed & maintained, and project deadlines & budgets are met
- Develop justified annual budgets; track budget; write monthly progress reports
- Review, support and mentor 2-3 geologists on all technical and project proposals
- Log and direct logging of core and reverse circulation drill cuttings
- Review geology logs for accuracy and consistency with appropriate QAQC
- Interpret geological, geophysical, mineralogical and geochemical data
- Construct 3D geologic models and generate section and plan maps
- Coordinate, disseminate and communicate key geoscience developments from internal and external research programs
- Conduct literature reviews and be familiar with Haile exploration models
- Maintain professional work environment and encourage technical excellence from colleagues
- Identify key target areas and work closely with the exploration land team to drive access agreements in a timely and cost effective manner
- Rationalize access agreements to be deprioritized and/or dropped
- Be a leader in safety & health, environmental, and community relations
- Ensure consistency with the Company values, strategy & adherence to best practices
Key Role Qualifications Required
- Bachelor of Science in Geology or closely related field
- Advanced degree preferred in Economic Geology or closely related field
- Registered or certified geologist through an accredited organization
- 15+ years of exploration experience
- Proven discovery record and ability to advance projects through the pipeline are essential
- Prefer >10 years of experience in Carlin-type and/or disseminated, sediment-hosted systems
- Production geology experience >2 years desired
- Competent in ArcGIS, acQuire, ioGas, Vulcan and Leapfrog (or similar 3D software)
- Must be able to legally work in the USA
- Possess a valid USA drivers’ license
- Fluent in English with exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Be in good physical health
Key Skills & Experience Required
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, community and environment
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills
- Proven experience in successfully leading senior technical groups
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated and acts with a sense of urgency
- Strong mapping, RC chip & core logging and structural geology skills
- Strong knowledge of applied geochemistry & geophysics and RC/core drilling methods
- Advanced interpretive geological skills
- Advanced understanding of mineralisation models and geological processes
- Understanding of economic parameters of mining operations and exploration projects
- Work is in and adjacent to an operating gold mine.
- Field work may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles.
- Employee is regularly required to stand, sit, lift, carry, possess manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, talk, hear and see.
- Be able to walk over rugged terrain up to 6 miles per day in hot, humid weather and cold weather with occasional snow.
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 50 pounds).
- Perform work shifts up to 11 hours in length.
- Safely operate 4WD light vehicles on highways and off-road.
- Wear personal protective equipment including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and ear plugs.
- OceanaGold promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing.
2 Oct 2017
- Work Type:
- United States
- Haile Operations
- Date expires:
- 31 Dec 2017