JOB RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Manage Safety personnel.
- Demonstrate safety awareness and be a visible safety champion.
- Conduct multifunctional inspections and document observations and action items.
- Develop JHA’s and SOP’s, as needed.
- Ensure use of PPE and safe work practices.
- Maintain INX database and ensure that all workhours, incidents and near misses are properly recorded
- Develop, maintain, review, investigate and close out INX events/records.
- Contribute to safety meetings with key statistics and relevant topics for presentation.
- Assist staff with incident and accident investigations, maintain report records, and facilitate root cause analysis. Be proactive in completing and closing out action items.
- Produce monthly reports, maintain safety statistics and exposure hours.
- Maintain database to enable tracking of training and induction records.
- Maintain risk registers and participate in reviews and control the register document.
- Implement and facilitate formal quarterly Risk Register review programs with Management.
- Ensure weekly Safety Toolbox process is rolled out across all shifts and contractors, ensure all groups have a frequent formal safety feedback engagement process.
- Establish action monitoring and maintenance system with a KPI tracking system to highlight lead/lag indicators, outstanding actions, overdue actions etc.
- Update staff on current issues with an educational focus on health and fitness for work.
- Develop documentation to enable planned HS&E inspections, audits and reviews.
- Comply with all health, safety, and environmental requirements.
- Observe all company policies and procedures.
- Assist with rehabilitation programs for employees on restricted duties.
- Coordinate external HS&E training courses and educate staff on site policies.
- Maintain emergency preparedness, and coordinate evacuation and fire drills.
- Monitor first aid, firefighting and emergency response equipment.
- Conduct other safety-related duties as assigned.
Health & Safety:
- Ensure high standards of housekeeping and cleanliness.
- Conduct risk assessments as required and implement systems to manage identified risks.
- Ensure prompt and thorough investigation of all incidents.
- Evaluate high risk activities and hierarchy of control to mitigate risks.
- Recommend and assist with implementation of improved work practices to reduce risks.
- Liaise with operations groups for all safety initiatives.
- Participate in HS&E meetings and site programs.
- Develop an intra-dependent safety culture.
- Immediately report non-compliances.
- All work shall be performed while on site. Working from home is not allowed.
- Typical work hours are 7:00AM to 4:00PM with a one-hour lunch period – Monday through Friday.
- Minimum of 40 hours per week. However, based on business needs, this schedule may be adjusted to include weekend and / or holiday coverage.
- Level 3 National Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
- Current Advanced First Aid Certificate.
- Become a First Responder within 6 months.
- Current Driver’s License, no DUIs in past 12 months.
- Satisfactory security and background clearance for any work in or around Refinery.
- Basic knowledge of MS office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Be prepared to work occasional weekends and abnormal hours
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a safety job in a mining role.
- Those candidates with less experience may be considered, depending on qualifications.
- Very strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interpret and apply health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Good knowledge of MSHA 30 CFR regulations.
- Ability to quickly modify work practices based on observed risks.
- Maintain integrity and confidentiality at all times.
Commitment and Responsibility - to work by the values of the company
Be Accountable for achieving your goals through strong leadership and commitment to the job and convert discussions into Actions, and actions into results.
Be Innovative and strive for continuous improvement
Promote Teamwork and ownership to solve problems
Demonstrate Integrity and responsibility through honest, Respectful and transparent communication, both internal and external.
Comply with all legal requirements, systems, procedures, and rules to protect the safety and health of employees, contractors, visitors, assets, the public and the environment. These include but are not limited to:
- Care of Self: Perform all work and associated functions safely including correctly using all personal protective clothing and equipment; obeying all lawful written and verbal HS&E policies and instructions; and being familiar with the location of first aid, fire protection and evacuation facilities; and emergency response procedures. Seek appropriate first aid or medical treatment when required and to present for work at all times in a healthy, fit condition. Do not undertake or perform any task that is reasonably considered unsafe.
- Care of Equipment: Establish and maintain the highest possible standards of housekeeping and cleanliness in individual work are.
- Procedures: Develop and follow all Standard Operating Procedures specified for equipment or tasks and be proactive in participating in safety processes, including complying with all local rules and requirements that may be introduced.
- Reporting: Take corrective action to eliminate hazards within the workplace and/or report hazards that cannot be corrected. Report all accidents, incidents, property damage and workplace hazards and assist in investigations if required.
Drive for results: Demonstrate concern for achieving or surpassing results. Show a passion for improving the delivery of safety services with a commitment to continuous improvement.
Influence: Observe and consult, impose own ideas, influence others, gain support and commitment from others; mobilize people and teams to take effective action.
Coaching: Work to improve and reinforce performance of others. Facilitate their skill development by providing clear, behaviorally specific performance feedback. Make suggestions for improvement in a manner that builds confidence and maintains self-esteem.
Problem Solving: Build a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation by drawing on one's knowledge and experience base. Consult other references and resources as necessary.
Professionalism: Think carefully about the likely effects on others of one's words, actions, appearance, and behavior. Select words or actions most likely to have the desired effect on the individual or group in question.
Initiative: Do more than is required or expected in the job; seek solutions to enhance safety and safety culture; plan ahead for upcoming problems or be proactive.
Judgment: Make sound decisions; base decisions on fact and observations rather than emotion; analyze problems skillfully, use logic to reach solutions.
Communication – oral and written: Effectively transfer thoughts and express ideas orally, verbally or written in individual or group situations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs, talk, hear and see.
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 35 pounds).
- Exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment.
OceanaGold promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing
8 Jan 2019
- Work Type:
- United States
- Haile Operations
- Date expires:
- 31 Mar 2019