Are you looking to continue your career in mining and live in the Carolinas? Join the only gold mine on the East Coast! OceanaGold’s Haile Mine is seeking an Underground Geotechnical Engineer to join the team. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of starting a new underground mine within an existing open pit.
This role is guaranteed to challenge and stimulate your thinking and grow you as an Engineering professional.
The Underground Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for review of plans and providing expertise in order to apply rock mechanics to underground mine engineering designs. The position will provide the opportunity to lead and assist in various ground support, modelling and planning projects while ensuring adherence to the Ground Control Management Plan, through QA/QC and monitoring.
- Decision Quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creates a new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Instils Trust – Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Action Oriented – Taking on new opportunities with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Ensures Accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Key tasks and responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and implement a ground support QA/QC program, such as bolt pull- testing and UCS of shotcrete and backfill.
- Prepare and maintain the Ground Control Management Plan
- Collect and analyses geotechnical monitoring data and maintain databases.
- Assist in ground control safety training programs.
- Review of mine designs and plans
- Field inspections of active mining areas
- Geotechnical mapping underground and geotechnical core logging
- Create and support mitigation ground support plans
Scheduling & Reporting:
- Establish scheduling systems for all activities required to effectively execute the Underground Project.
- Actively manages works under area of control to ensure no impact on the critical path of the schedule.
- Identifies possible upcoming schedule risks within area of control and initiates control measures to mitigate effects on overall project schedule.
- Actively looks for opportunities to accelerate works to provide schedule opportunities in area of control.
- Prepare weekly / monthly reports on all projects and communicate to all relevant stakeholders.
- Design and implement value adding reporting systems.
- Actively look for opportunities to implement cost savings without effecting safety, schedule or quality.
People & Performance Management:
- Mentoring coaching engineers how to design and plan an underground open stoping mine.
- Establish and maintain a productive project culture through effective communication and team building.
- Monitor subordinates in their performance and direct their activities as necessary to ensure project requirements are achieved.
- Communicate regularly with all staff to ensure that goals and priorities are clearly understood and to promote a harmonious working environment.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in underground geotechnical work.
- Experience with rock mass classification systems, geotechnical analysis, structural mapping, ground support designs and underground QA/QC programs.
- Knowledge and experience with rock mechanics principles applying to underground mining
- Familiarization with Deswik and/or Vulcan mining software and various geotechnical software packages
- Ability to interpret and disseminate technical information between internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative working style, building strong internal and external relationships.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mining Engineering, Geological Engineering or Geology
About the company:
OceanaGold is a multinational gold producer committed to the highest standards of technical, environmental and social performance. Since 1990, we have been contributing to excellence in our industry by delivering sustainable environmental and social outcomes for our communities and strong returns for our shareholders. Our global exploration, development and operating experience has created a significant pipeline of organic growth opportunities and a portfolio of operating assets including Didipio Mine in the Philippines, Macraes and Waihi operations in New Zealand and Haile Gold Mine in the United States. The gold, copper and silver we produce are essential to the renewable energy and transport sectors, life-saving medical devices and technology that connects people around the world. Our operations are supported by corporate offices located in Brisbane, Australia and Denver, USA. OceanaGold is committed to providing equal employment opportunities.
OGC VALUES: RESPECT | OPPORTUNITY | COMMITTMENT | KNOWLEDGE|
- Work Type:
- United States
- Haile Operations
- Date expires:
- 8 Mar 2021