OceanaGold's Waihi Mine is seeking a Senior Environmental Advisor to join the team. The ideal candidate will be working in a similar role within a large infrastructure business or government agency. Waihi is an expanding mining operation with ambitious growth plans and a strong commitment to sustainability and our local community partners.
Responsible for coordinating and providing functional environmental support to the Waihi Operation departments. The role also has responsibility for overseeing environmental management of site infrastructure and facilities.
This role ensures compliance with statutory acts, regulations, consent conditions and company environmental standards to uphold OceanaGold's commitment to responsible mining, managing our impacts and, more broadly, contributing to the communities in which we work and live.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist the operation to meet all OceanaGold standards and guidelines
- Monitor and keep up to date with changes in the regulatory environment
- Liaise with personnel, consultants, auditors and legal advisors to ensure company environmental performance and targets are achieved
- Provide specialist environmental advice to projects and personnel as required
- Ensure site awareness of regulatory and statutory obligations through day to day interaction and specific training and awareness
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant external stakeholders
- Manage the preparation and writing of compliance reports as may be required
- Identify, plan and (if appropriate) implement environmental improvements
- Monitoring and assessment of vibration, water, sound, dust, energy, waste, and rehabilitation activities
- Manage field rehabilitation work and trials, and provide input into Closure activities as required
- Support the preparation of consent applications as required
- Advise appropriate site personnel of any non-compliances, non-conformances or environmental irregularities and assist in resolutions
- Participation in an on-call roster to provide 24/7 coverage for monitoring
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Environmental or Earth Sciences, Resource Management or similar
- Full and current driver's licence, ability to drive manual vehicles and 4WD's is preferred
- A minimum of five years cumulative post graduate experience, with a minimum three years work experience in a regulatory monitoring environment
- Mining industry experience preferred
- Consent application process knowledge
- Environmental monitoring and reporting skills
- Hydrology, hydro-geology, vibration, noise, air quality, water management experience
- Geochemistry and water quality, ecological systems experience
- Data management systems and software (InViron, Blasthub) and statistical analysis
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems knowledge
Who are we?
Check us out: https://oceanagold.com/
Why work for us?
Live and work in Waihi, close to unspoiled beaches and the stunning scenery of the Coromandel. Competitive salary and benefits including free Southern Cross Healthcare. Excellent career development opportunities across our international business.
About the company
OceanaGold is a multinational gold producer committed to the highest standards of technical, environmental, and social performance. Since 1990, we have been contributing to excellence in our industry by delivering sustainable environmental and social outcomes for our communities and strong returns for our shareholders. The gold, copper and silver we produce are essential to the renewable energy and transport sectors, life-saving medical devices and technology that connects people around the world.
Our global exploration, development and operating experience has created a significant pipeline of organic growth opportunities and a portfolio of operating assets including Didipio Mine in the Philippines, Macraes and Waihi operations in New Zealand and Haile Gold Mine in the United States. Our operations are supported by corporate offices located in Brisbane, Australia and Denver, USA.
At OceanaGold, health and safety are paramount to the success of our business as are employees who engage in behaviors that align with our values.
OGC VALUES: RESPECT | ONE TEAM | CONTRIBUTE | KNOWLEDGE
OceanaGold is committed to providing equal employment opportunities.
If you share the same values and have what we are looking for, please apply online now via our website: www.careers.oceanagold.com
Applications close Friday, 3 December 2021. Shortlisting will commence immediately. Applicants must be eligible to work in New Zealand
- Work Type:
- New Zealand
- Waihi Operations
- Date expires:
- 3 Dec 2021
- Environmental Services >> Other